Quick academic help
Don't let the stress of school get you down! Have your essay written by a professional writer before the deadline arrives.
Hip Hemiarthroplasty 27236 | eORIF
Knee joint replacement is intended for use in individuals with joint disease resulting from degenerative, rheumatoid and post-traumatic arthritis, and for moderate deformity of the knee. Joint replacement surgery is not appropriate for patients with certain types of infections, any mental or neuromuscular disorder which would create an unacceptable risk of prosthesis instability, prosthesis fixation failure or complications in postoperative care, compromised bone stock, skeletal immaturity, severe instability of the joint, or excessive body weight.
Hemiarthroplasty (unipolar or bipolar) of the hip is a commonly performed procedure in elderly patients with intracapsular displaced fractures of the neck of femur with good short-term results with regard to pain relief, return to activity, morbidity and mortality [1,2,3]. An improperly implanted bipolar prosthesis creates more problems with one of the options being a Girdlestone arthroplasty. Though good relief is achievable in some cases from Girdle stone arthroplasty, in most cases the results are not satisfactory [4,5,6]. With the following treatment option we report this case of re implantation with total hip arthroplasty in Girdlestone hip.
Prosthesis Types Total Hip Hemi Revision Radiography ..
Total hip arthroplasty is a good option for failed Hemirthroplasty cases though it is technically demanding. Girdlestone arthroplasty may not be considered in such situation.
Girdlestone hip arthroplasty, though described as a salvage procedure for infected hip joints, can also be considered for failed Hemiarthroplasty procedures. The functional results of such Girdlestone hip may not be satisfactory. They may require total hip replacement to improve the quality of life, which are technically challenging. Here we are reporting such a case in a 60 year old male patient, with review of literature.
A 60 year old male patient underwent cemented bipolar hemiarthroplasty for fracture neck of femur which failed, owing to improper implantation. Subsequently he underwent Girdlestone arthroplasty which resulted in persistent painful hip. He presented to us in this situation, where we successfully converted the Girdlestone arthroplasty to a Total Hip arthroplasty.
Improper implantation in Hemiarthroplasty fails subsequently. In such cases Girdlestone arthroplasty may be an option to consider, though it may not give requisite relief to patient in some cases. In such situations total hip arthroplasty procedure, though technically challenging will give stable painless hip to the patient.
Hemiarthroplasty; Girdlestone arthroplasty; Totalhip arthropalsty.
Hemi hip arthroplasty vs. THR ? -Doctors Lounge(TM)
1. Yau WP, Chiu KY. Critical radiological analysis after Austin Moore hemiarthroplasty. Injury 2004; 35:1020-4.
2. Wachtl SW, Jacob RP, Gautier E. Ten-year patient and prosthesis survival after unipolar hip hemiarthroplasty in female patients over 70 years old. J Arthoplasty 2003; 18:587-91.
3. Clayer M, Brucknr J. The outcome of Austin-Moore hemiarthroplasty for fracture of the femoral neck. Am J Orthop 1997; 26:681-4.
4. Bittar ES, Petty W(1982) Girdlestone arthroplasty for infected total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 170: 83-87.
5. Muller RT, Schlegel KF, Konermann H (1989) Long-term results of Girdlestone hip. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 108;359-362.
6. Lenoble E, Goutallier D (1995) Replacement of infected total hip prosthesis in two stages. Int Orthop 19,151-156.
7. Witschger PM, Siegrist H. Totalprothese nach Girdlestone. Orthopäde. 1989;18 : 489-492.
8. G.R. Girdle stone; Acute pyogenic hip: an operation giving free access and effective drainage; CORR (2008) 466, 258-263
9. Oheim R. Surgical therapy of hip-joint empyema. Is the Girdlestone arthroplasty still up to date? International Orthopaedics [Int Orthop] 2012 May; Vol. 36 (5), pp. 927-33.
10. Pankaj A, Malhotra R, Bhan S. Conversion of failed hemiarthroplasty to totalhip arthroplasty: A short to mid-term follow-up study. Indian J Orthop [serial online] 2008
11. Pradeep Bhosale, Ashish Suryawanshi, and Amber Mittal ;Totalhip arthroplasty in failed aseptic Austin more prosthesis. Indian J Orthop. 2012 May-Jun; 46(3): 297–303.
12. Markus E. Rittmeister. Lilian Manthei. Nils P. Hailer ; Prosthetic replacement in secondary Girdlestone arthroplasty has an unpredictable outcome International Orthopaedics (SICOT) (2005) 29: 145–148.
Hemiarthroplasty will fail if not done properly. Converting such failed cases to Girdlestone hip arthroplasty may not be a good option. In such cases where Hemiarthroplasty has failed or subsequent Girdlestone hip arthroplasty has failed to give relief to patient, Total hip arthroplasty should be considered though it is technically demanding especially after 2 failed surgeries prior to it.
Why choose our assistance?
As soon as we have completed your work, it will be proofread and given a thorough scan for plagiarism.
Our clients' personal information is kept confidential, so rest assured that no one will find out about our cooperation.
We write everything from scratch. You'll be sure to receive a plagiarism-free paper every time you place an order.
We will complete your paper on time, giving you total peace of mind with every assignment you entrust us with.
Want something changed in your paper? Request as many revisions as you want until you're completely satisfied with the outcome.
We're always here to help you solve any possible issue. Feel free to give us a call or write a message in chat.
POA - Prosthetic & Orthotic Associates
The longevity of implants following hemiarthroplasty depends on its proper placement. Girdlestone arthroplasty may not give requisite functional relief to the patient. Though technically challenging, total hip arthroplasty in certain cases will give a relatively stable and painless hip, as is the observation in our case. Patient has been ambulant without pain till his last follow up of 1 year. A Long term follow up of this case may throw more information in these cases.
How it works
You submit your order instructions
We assign an appropriate expert
The expert takes care of your task
We send it to you upon completion
Average quality score
"I have always been impressed by the quick turnaround and your thoroughness. Easily the most professional essay writing service on the web."
"Your assistance and the first class service is much appreciated. My essay reads so well and without your help I'm sure I would have been marked down again on grammar and syntax."
"Thanks again for your excellent work with my assignments. No doubts you're true experts at what you do and very approachable."
"Very professional, cheap and friendly service. Thanks for writing two important essays for me, I wouldn't have written it myself because of the tight deadline."
"Thanks for your cautious eye, attention to detail and overall superb service. Thanks to you, now I am confident that I can submit my term paper on time."
"Thank you for the GREAT work you have done. Just wanted to tell that I'm very happy with my essay and will get back with more assignments soon."